Every year we all venture to the Great New York State Fair seeking the newest fried food, amusement ride and exotic animal show and this year the Dairy Cow Birthing Center has new, exciting things to share with you as well!
As in previous years, the Dairy Cow Birthing Center will feature three births daily over the course of the 12 days of the New York State Fair and offers the opportunity for you to converse one-on-one with dozens of dairy farmer and industry volunteers about milk production, dairy farms and the care provided to dairy cows every day. Visitors can also watch videos featuring dairy farmers on four large screen TVs, including real surveillance videos taken at area dairy farms, which is a new feature this year. Some other notable changes and additions to the exhibit this year include:
- New Location: With all the construction at the State Fair, the Dairy Cow Birthing Center has a new location near the west end of Broadway (a newly paved road), just past the midway, next to the newly created picnic area. We are still #42 on the State Fair map.
- Big, Beautiful Bovine Blimp: You won’t be able to miss the new location, thanks to the presence of a new, custom-made 15’ tall by 20’ long inflatable dairy cow who will be greeting you outside the exhibit’s entrance. Fairgoers will be encouraged to take a selfie, propose a name for her and enter to win by posting on @NYAnimalAg social media pages with the hashtag #wowthatcow
- Kids & Calves Play Area: As the song goes, “Waiting is the hardest part”, especially for kids who are anxiously awaiting the birth of a baby calf, so there will be a play area for kids where they can hang out inside a calf hutch, dig into a box filled with corn, or try their hand at milking a cow. (A fiberglass cow, not a real one.)
- “Wow that Cow” Trivia Wheel: The State Fair is known for it’s fun and games, and now you can test your knowledge of the amazing dairy cow by taking a spin on the trivia wheel. And because you’re always a winner when you associate yourself with dairy, everyone is guaranteed a “dairy good” prize!
- State-of-the-Art Technology: On the farm and at the fair, it’s all about the comfort of our cows. New to the exhibit this year will be fans and misters designed specifically for modern dairy barns to keep the cows cool as well as devices that attach to the tail of cows and signal when a cow goes into labor.
If you’re interested in witnessing a birth, we will continue to offer a free text messaging service so be sure to text MOO to 24587 to receive updates. If you’re unable to visit the State fair, a live webcam of the exhibit will be available at www.uddermiracles.com and we’ll also be posing and streaming videos on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and new this year – SnapChat so follow along using the hashtag #uddermiracles.
NYAAC organizes the Dairy Cow Birthing Center in collaboration with the New York State Fair and the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University. This popular, real-time, real-life exhibit would not be possible without the support of numerous agribusinesses and organizations in the dairy industry, especially the New York Corn and Soybean Growers Association. Stay tuned in the coming days and during the fair to learn more about the people and businesses that make this educational opportunity a reality.
We hope you take the time to visit us at the fair for your chance to witness the miracle of life and the opportunity to converse with real dairy farmers because there’s no udder place for the answer.