Position: Director of Communication and Crisis Management
Location: New York State
The New York Animal Agriculture Coalition is currently seeking a Director of Communication and Crisis Management. This individual will aid in statewide advocacy efforts and enhance the reach of this farmer founded not-for-profit organization. This position will provide proactive and reactive crisis management to the animal agriculture industry of New York, with a primary focus on the dairy industry. The ideal candidate will strive to envision, develop and implement programs to positively influence public opinion about modern animal agriculture practices.
Applicants must be passionate, creative and self-motivated individuals with great communication and interpersonal skills. They must possess confidence in their abilities and be able to effectively communicate with a broad range of people.
- Maintain awareness of current issues. Personal visits to farms and attendance at industry conferences are required.
- Facilitate and/or implement effective written communication with the public, including blogging, social media and website content.
- Facilitate crisis communication efforts and develop a coordinated response, both individually and as part of the NYS Dairy Issues Management Team.
- Respond to inquiries promptly and serve as a resource to others. Prompt response is required as issues arise, including before/after business hours, holidays and weekends.
- Continued professional development. Remain current on environmental and agricultural issues.
- Partner with staff in the oversight and operation of all NYAAC activities, including but not limited to the Dairy Cow Birthing Center at the New York State Fair, Dairy All Stars program, farm tours, which involves animal handling, sponsorship solicitation, volunteer recruitment, on-site logistics and management.
- Create and implement fundraising strategies in both the public and private sectors. Responsible for fundraising solicitation and contract administration. Research grant opportunities and write grant applications.
- Aid in the leadership and facilitation of the strategic plan of NYAAC.
Education, Experience & Skills:
- A minimum of a four year degree from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in the agriculture field.
- Knowledge of animal agriculture is required. Experience in the dairy industry is preferred.
- Experience in public relations, communication, fundraising, event planning, charitable organizations and/or advocacy is preferred.
- Must be an effective and confident public speaker and have excellent written communication skills. Must have demonstrated ability to communicate with a broad range of people.
- Candidate must be comfortable fundraising for NYAAC and its programs.
- Must be motivated to work independently from a home office, as well as part of a larger team.
- Significant travel throughout the State of New York is required, which may involve overnight stays.
- Ideal candidate will proactively address issues as well as react to current issues.
- Must be able to perform moderate physical labor, lifting upwards of 50 pounds.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the individual occupying this position. This individual will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by the board of directors.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
Apply By February 22, 2019:
- All interested candidates should email pdf copies of their cover letter and resume to Julie V. Richardson at JVanErden@RSandSLaw.com.
For more information about NYAAC, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.nyanimalag.org or follow us on Facebook and Twitter. We intend to fill this position in the spring of 2019.